View of the Sea of Galilee from Capernaum

View of the Sea of Galilee from Capernaum

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Psalm 40:2

I have waited, waited for the Lord, and he stooped toward me and heard my cry.


One of my earliest memories goes back to when I was maybe 3 or so years old.  Not being in school and not having any other kids my age around, I would get very bored during the day.  When it came to the middle of the afternoon, I would begin waiting by the front window of our house, looking down the street to see if I could see my brother and sisters coming home from school.  A few hours later I would wait for my father to get home.  When he did, I would be there waiting for him by the door.  He would stoop down and pick me up and then we would hug and he would rub his cheek against my own.  By that time of the day he would have a 5 o'clock shadow and the stubble of his beard would tickle my face.  At that moment, all was right in the world.


That is what comes to mind when I read this verse from Psalm 40.  God my Father, stoops down, takes me in his arms, hugs me and everything is the way that it should be in life.  And yet, as I sit here on this morning, just a few hours after a major earthquake in Haiti, the strongest in 240 years, I have to wonder where my Father is for the people of Haiti.  For years and years they have suffered under dictators, dysfunctional governments, and devastating poverty.  And now this.  Why?  Where are you Lord in this?  Why must one people suffer so much?  How long will they have to wait until you stoop down and hear their cry?  


Me?  Am I to be your hands and help them?  Am I to be the arms that wrap around them and let them know that everything will be made right?  


An image flashed across my TV screen
Another broken heart comes in to view
I saw the pain and I turned my back
Why can't I do the things I want to?
I'm willing yet I'm so afraid
You give me strength
When I say

I want to be your hands
I want to be your feet
I'll go where you send me
I'll go where you send me

AUDIO ADRENALINE- "Hands and Feet"

No comments:

Post a Comment