View of the Sea of Galilee from Capernaum

View of the Sea of Galilee from Capernaum

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Mark 3:35

Whoever does the will of God is brother and sister and mother to me.


When we are baptized, we become a member of God's family.  We become children of God.  By our action of being baptized we each say "Yes, I want to be your child".  


But being baptized is not the only thing that God asks of us.  He also asks that we do his will.  By doing his will, we are reaffirming on a regular basis the "Yes" that we first said at our baptism.  When we don't do God's will, we are rejecting the "Yes" of our baptism and are saying "No, I don't want to be your child at this particular moment".  


Our original "Yes" brings with it responsibility just like being born into a human family brings with it responsibility.  Sometimes our own will is in line with the will and wishes of our family, but sometimes it separates us from our family.  When we separate ourselves from our family, we immediately feel it.  So too when we separate ourselves from God by doing our own will over his.  If we want to be a member of God's family, we need to strive to do his will each day as best we can.  When we fall short or deliberately do our own will, we should turn back to him, trusting that through his great love for us, we will receive forgiveness and be made whole again.


Daddy, daddy do you miss me?
The way I crawled upon your knee?
Those childish games of hide and seek 

Seem a million miles away.


Am I lost in some illusion? 
Or am I what you thought I'd be?
Now it seems I've found myself in need to be forgiven. 

Is there still room upon that knee?


If I give my Life, if I lay it down
Can you turn this Life around?
Can I be made clean by this offering of my soul? 
Can I be made whole again? 
JENNIFER KNAPP- "Whole Again"

No comments:

Post a Comment